Monday, October 6, 2014

California Trip

Our little family got to go to Southern California a couple weeks ago. It was so fun going somewhere new together. The big reason for the trip was to see my new nephew. And let me tell you. My brother and Rebecca did so good. I've truly never felt so completely in love and enamored by a baby that wasn't my own. Every picture just makes my heart melt. I now understand my friends that have nieces and nephews showing me pictures of them all the time. (I love you guys!) Seriously, if my dear bro sends a picture of the little guys to me, I show everyone in the room. I just can't control it! So needless to say, I couldn't wait to get my hands on that babe.
Holding a newborn is one of the best feelings in the world. I may have gotten emotional.
I had the privilege of taking some pictures for them.
See for yourself the perfection that is this child.














Wait. This isn't a baby. Just the cutest dog. 






Couldn't you just die? I wish I got to spend even more time with him. But I sincerely feel so lucky that I got to see/hold/kiss the guy.
Seeing my brother and getting to know Rebecca more was also sooo good for my soul. They are wonderful people. My brother is the easiest guy to talk to and can make you feel like a million bucks in a heartbeat. I love how easily he "gets" people. He's THE best.

This trip was also this crazy all inclusive deal... it was our big trip for the year. Usually we try to make it up to Washington a time or two but this took the place of that. Soooo I guess both sides of our family loves us or something because they met up with us there too. Granted my people came for Eric and Rebecca and to see the new baby more than anything but... I like to think it was like 5% because of us :).

Josh's mom and two out of four siblings came, and my whole fambam came. So it really was quite an event.

No to mention the insanity of a 10 hour car ride with three kids three and under. Luckily, they're great kids and it wasn't too nightmarish. We also had Josh's brother Jeff help us out on the way down. He was an awesome help.

Morgan is a really chill traveler probably 90% of the time. He's so great.


Pearl got really weird on our first day of travels due to an accidental overdosage of dramamine. She gets carsick so we wanted to eliminate the otherwise inevitable vomit situation. I gave her one tablet, which was kind of a hefty dose, but in true Pearly style, she snuck another one and gobbled it right up. She was really loopy all the way to Mequite. 


We decided to break the trip up on the way there. We stayed in a moderately sketchy hotel in Mesquite, NV. We traveled the whole way back going home. 

Our first full day there we went to the aquarium with Josh's peeps. Who are my peeps too of course! I love these people.
The kids had such a great time. Pearl had been talking about seeing "a fish, and a shark, and a whale" for like a week before our trip. She was so excited. We may have not seen an actual whale but I think she was satisfied because she stopped saying it after the aquarium. The touch tanks were definitely the favorite. Morgan still talks about touching the jellyfish, which I couldn't get a picture of, because it was just too dark in there.










The first time we went to the beach we only got to stay for like 10 minutes but it was well worth the drive! ...Well, at least for me since I wasn't driving. We had some direction issues (I blame my phone)  so it turned into a race to beat the sun before it went down for the evening. But, then we got to Newport Beach right at sunset and it was perfect. 










Then the next day we went to Huntington Beach with my family, along with Josh's brother and sister! It was fun fun fun. A bit breezy/chilly, but fun. Ingrid napped on my back pretty much the whole time. 


Sand angel. 


She always find strange little projects to work on.






He had the time of his life.

My sister takes real nice photos. 


"Mom look! I have pixie dust!"



 Right after Huntington Beach we hurried back to our hotel and threw on some clothes to go to Eric's to hang out, take some family pictures, and eat a delicious meal prepared by my talented mama. I got worried because the sun was going down as we got there, and there just wasn't enough light for pictures. I didn't want to disappoint, as the designated photographer. Luckily my sister is awesome and had the idea to take it under the fluorescent lights in the covered parking area. I love the lighting. 

My fambam:




Our last full day there we went to the LA Zoo. I know, we can do that in Salt Lake, but there was a really good deal when it was bundled with the aquarium ticket. Plus, I think everything is more exciting in California. Aaaand we had family with us so it was just good times. 





On the way home (which took like 12 hours... ugh) we stopped in Cedar City so Josh could show me his old hood from his SUU days. It was great seeing the places he's talked about. 

It was just such a fun trip. The kids even napped in the hotel pretty well half of the time. Sometimes they didn't but I'm just happy there were a few naps within the whole week.  I loved that I got time to myself, time without the kids hanging out with my brother and family, time with the hubby, time with the kids, and time with everyone. I'm so happy with how everything went! It was a great, memorable trip. 
Thanks California. 





No comments:

Post a Comment